Saturday 22 September 2018

New Scientist 15 Sep _2

As before I am writing a more detailed blog report for each New Scientist podcast as part of general brain recall and coordination practice.
Sheep Migration: It seems they just put GPS tracker on these bighorn sheep then on moose then pulled out any data. I am more interested the the Seven sheep who knew genetically what to do.
Hate speech detector: It is a bit of a head scratcher here. Surely this means that the socially responsible thing here is to have keen human oversight not just machine oversight if we can make an effort.
Face Recognition: I wasn't that sympathetic before reading the article, but it really won me over. Indeed flawed technology, flawed institutions and flawed people seems to be sufficient locus of flaws to put a halt to it. I do think it is probably/definitely evil.
Comment on the Right wing red neck bubble needs to be counselled by using the idea of data analysis. I really think it is an argument for good education. I think it is a really worry when scientist think aloud on these things.
Drilling a hole in the space craft: The whole thing actually makes me feel sick. My view is that someone wanted to murder all the astronauts.
A retirement village for astronomers, nice but sooo awkward
The Chemical Brain guy really is the stuff of my nightmares. I honestly think he is doing heaps of damage but I think it is shows a need for a real health check of lab psychology by a third party - science needs a division of power style rethink. I feel sorry for the other research groups in Glasgow
Gut problems is it FODMAP, well the debunking stuff is hard to put up. Again I think this all shows a frightening superstitious society that basically burns rationalists. Just my thoughts

MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts