Wednesday 20 April 2011

Ecology -Ecosystems - Where Science is taking us.

It is my opinion that:

a) we should have a Carbon Tax



b) the next logical choice is to change our life style to a low use, low waste slower pace life

c) nuclear power is beneficial, as part of a power solution for high population densities.

In many circumstances, it is best to decide to act early so we are in good shape to manage everything. In monetary terms, spending a basic amount on dental checks or maintaining a car, is a sound investment. The underlying reality is a good diet or sensible driving really impacts the general situation you find yourself in. I don't drink or smoke, so the closest parallel in my personal life it the amount of milk I drink that I know will lead to a heart condition.

I have a profound sense that people profiting from supporting unsustainable living, have made parallel decisions in the real and moral world detaching themselves from the consequences. I don't discuss the model ... its up for discussion, but there must be something that explains why my opinion and that of many others are ignored.

In my life situation, the closest to the current situation of a shared future, and people living unsustainably is group houses during Uni. I am keenly aware, we are facing a different situation: we are in this group home forever.



As I see it we are going to have to talk our flatmates around, we can't pick up the phone and dial Dominoes for Planet Earth. Aussieecospheres  makes this point. Youtube

School Science that I teach is great, but at the end of the day it is not set up by practicing scientists. In my heart it feels a little two dimensional, and you have to spend so energy in diplomacy. The School Science point made at this point is that the name for a home, or place of life is "Eco". "ology" means the study of, or more closely " a love of" and as a consequence a body of knowledge. The group student home, could be an "Eco" but the term to capture the idea is "Ecosystem". The passionate point I am making is that what matters is both at a global scale and in the group home is the social inputs that feed into the behaviours or "Sociology".

My interest, is trying to research strategies, to reprogram the sociology, that will reset the "Ecosystem". Can I bring my knowledge to bare on this situation? Origin energy has this interesting social reprogramming strategy:




 Quite rightly, the school approach is to build the foundation ideas upward. To build, scaffold the ideas and concepts that are then filled in. However, in this case, it is the surrounding logic, that lock us into a very sequential approach. In a nutshell there is a view that there is a correct or best way of approaching a problem. It is here, I would like to share my experience from years of studying Quantum Physics has tapped me over into thinking in parallel. I discovered the smallest molecule, by fusing passion and curiosity to take me in areas I was ignorant. I had remember leaving the old way of thinking (very much black board chalk drawings, and pin ball machines) and moving onto waves, beautiful curves travelling through each other slowly becoming the new reality. As knowledge brought colour and depth to the night sky, quantum mechanics gave me a heighten sense of bulk (heisenburgs uncertainty principle) and feel for materials.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts