Sunday 6 January 2019

Chasing the Sun 1

This is a really good fact filled 581 page tome by Richard Cohen.

Richard is not a scientist but he has a background in really studying a topic deeply and expansively and drawing it all together. I love the bits of information like the fact the hot days lift the fox's scent into the air offering it protection from the hounds. I found the reference to the 2009 scout game rather deflating to read.

I have gone through my own trials having the circuitry on my dicta phone give up the ghost. I feel empathetic with it as I rebuild my circuitry. You can hopefully hear me improve as I read. I find it so hard. It is useful as it pulls out memories and forces me to calculations in my head like E=mc2.

Okay, the memory banks have some information that has not been flushed out, but I have no way of figuring out how I remember it. Absolute magnitude is the brightness at a standardized distance of 10 parsecs or roughly 32 light-years or 308 Pm

(sounds like peter meters)

Now my memory did fail me in the absolute brightness is shoe horned into the ancient Greek system of 5 units of magnitude is 100 times brighter. Rigel at -6 to our +4 means that it is 10 000 time brighter than our sun.




MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts