Wednesday 28 November 2018

Cosmos Mag Autumn 2017_4

This shorter Podcast looks at CERN and what comes next. The Higgs is the only thing it has found at 125 GeV which is less than 1% of its total 13000 GeV smashing energy. I think if we don't mix tera and Giga things are a lot more clear. Looking at it this way it seems way to early to break out the cheque book and build a bigger beast. To make an analogy it is like having a Formula One car you have driven down to the shops and you park it back in the paddock after a week as you want to build something much faster.

I am amazed to the point of feeling uncomfortable about the number of things I thought would never happen in my life time but are now so routine that people don't know what the fuss is. I think the Earth's magnetic field is just to weird to hold in my brain, and I think we are several steps away from handling dark matter. I like to call it cosmic Jello as if the galaxies are held in shape by jelly. I think CERN finding dark matter would be an insult to my version of reality, so insult me.

The Higgs is a boson as it has spin zero ie it is not playing in angular momentum space. We are in the Higgs field which has a broken Mexican hat symmetry, and particles have a hypercharge that interacts with the field. The particle, which there is always the virtual ones had been coaxed into reality so we can have a look at it. I will have to go in a reboot my understanding of this.

I find the symmetry violation CERN has found really interesting and I will have to check whether this discovery has stuck arround.

MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts