Thursday 22 November 2018

Thomson Exteriment for the Kids

This is a must do experiment for everyone.

It goes like this. First get a copper rod about an arms length long hook it up to a current source so you can run -3 to 0 to 3 amps through it. Second heat it up with a Bunsen burner in the middle. Third, measure the temperature drop as it cools along its length further from the flame. Fourth run a current through the copper and see the temperature rise and fall either side of the flame.

This podcast will driving will get you in the car with me as I toddle along into a dust storm, get a big warning about a fallen tree, and then surprise later on about a fallen tree. Listen as I muddle through, puzzled as to why something so simple, so moving, so thought and career provoking isn't cutting through.

My answer is lots of little baby steps, lots of them but in parallel and strategically aligned. I am thinking it terms of dissipation, boundaries and other terms. How to build it forward. I have in my mind a mathematical model managing the diffusion rather than the political cut through of new ideas. In this case this is a good 160 year old, and its sidelining has placed it centre stage in my mind's theater

MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts