Tuesday 13 November 2018

New Scientist 3 Nov_2

There is a report in here which seems actually some good science. It is about bone growth hormone and memory. A least they seem to track down relevant genes and proteins. There seems something in it.

There is an artful comment about the disaster which is going to befall Britain with Brexit, and how science is the darling of the rich a privileged.

I think we have to accept gravity waves like we have to accept the mass of neutrinos. I must admit the fact that the Physical Review Paper had enhanced pedagogical features actually made me feel sick. I think we are managing politics and egos in science, but it is such an exhausting exercise. The number of really straight forward scientist I have known is probably about 10, the rest are distracted by reputation and status. I did find the explanation of the numerical, analytical and constructive analysis fascinating. The book by the sociologist called "Gravity's Kiss" really digs through this work and is a truly significant analysis in its own right. I would argue that we are seeing a transition from play science to a more measure application of intelligence. I just don't get the feeling that the team at New Scientist gets what is going on. It some how wouldn't fit the formulae of the stories they churn out.

MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts