Sunday 11 November 2018

The March

You might want to listen as I walk to a shuttle bus and promise interviews with key figures in this remembrance day march. Then thankfully the sense that this would be truly intrusive kicked in, and I listened, sensed and marched. It was a surprisingly emotional thing to march with the veterans and other former soldiers and have the crowd clap and cheer in appreciation. The ceremony was really broad in scope and inclusive and I feel genuine in its respect by the intelligence with which the themes were interwoven. After my job of moving chairs and counting them, and supporting a few others was done (lets face it that was the real reason I was there). I walked through the streets of Penrith and you can sense the sound scape of traffic and the audible traffic lights as I make my way to the station.

I continue for a few minutes whilst on the platform. You will hear the platform announcements, find out about the amazing transport card that tracks all your movements, and also the details of the ceremony. The train arrives and beside looking as if I were fully mad, I have to stop podcasting anyway as it is in a "Quiet Carriage" that means no music, talking or conversation. Practically though it meant that I could teach some Quantum Mechanics to someone on crutches, and had an African drum. I assure you they were the ones asking questions about the music or waves in matter.

On arrival in Glenbrook we are greeted by the Mountain cicadas that generally are a little harder for the kookaburras to catch. I finish on reflection that remembrance is a collective creation which conventions slowly burning in as people slowly pass away. Authenticity seems to be the central concept but also the central paradox.

MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts