Monday 17 December 2018

New Scientist 8 Dec_3

The article on gene modification to treat Parkinson's is truly mystifying. How do you get gene therapy inside the blood brain barrier. The effects are bizarre.

Similarly finding stone tools some 30 000 years old in Tibet predating modern human occupation from and earliest time or 12 000 is a complex story and I personally would be cautious about calling in the help of Denisovians to solve this mystery seems fraught with danger.

The article on avoiding food waste by buy in prepackaged means seems fair enough. It just strikes me that living in a commune achieves the same efficiency but perhaps I am not thinking about consumption in the correct frame of reference.

I think the comment article about medical implants is about time and on the mark. I just think it made such a powerful point relating things to the CE accreditation.

My mind has gone blank for the second comment article all I can recall is that the author was a woman named Irani. I cheated an looked at the magazine, and yes it was fantasy as far as I can tell about workers in Google and Apple making these firms ethical. I think it is a cruel deceptions.

The comment article really missed the point about just how uninspiring low earth satellites are. The gem was to find out that Apollo 15 planted a 8.5 Australian astronaut called Bruce or "Brucy-me-mate" on the moon, and Bruce is still there waiting for the earth to explode or the Sun to die which ever is the sooner given he doesn't get smashed by an asteroid in the mean time.

Finally using 303 quasars as a celestial GPS as picked up by Very Long Baseline Interferometry is just what we all need to read. What absolutely beautiful science.

This was a clear example of fatigue for me as in my first venture in this podcast and I just slowed and fell asleep. Go figure.

MP4 recording     MP3 recording

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts